Dear Leesburg United Methodist Church family and friends,
Last week, our Virginia Conference leaders issued the revised “Handbook for Local Churches”, for churches wanting to return to in-person worship. We have formed a required “Healthy Church Team” to develop our LUMC plan for reopening according to the requirements in the handbook.
Our team needs your help to ascertain the level of interest in getting back to in-person worship. Please read the following carefully, as this summarizes what is mandated for local United Methodist churches by our Bishop Sharma Lewis. We then invite you to respond to this brief questionnaire. Please email to by Tuesday, June 2.
Stage 1 worship: (During Virginia’s “Phase 1”)
- No children under 12 in the church building, which includes no nursery.
- 25 persons in worship (does not include worship leaders, ushers, other volunteers). We may have worship in two separate locations with 25 in each with social distancing.
- No Singing. Instrumental music, or pre-recorded music only.
- No Baptisms.
- Holy Communion – prepackaged communion elements only.
- Strict social distancing (6 ft minimum) at all times outside and inside the building.
- Face mask/covering on at all times while on church property. Includes worship leaders.
- No printed worship program/bulletin – all responsive prayers and liturgies to be projected.
- All worshipers must complete a Health Assessment Form (see attached) at least four days prior to worship that is then sent to the pastor. This must be updated if/when your health status changes.
Stage 1 logistics:
- Limited restroom use. Limited access to parts of the building (eg. Library, Kitchens, etc.)
- No hospitality or fellowship time inside the building; no food/beverages served.
- No physical contact.
- Separate entrance/exit doors (exception is elevator use).
- Bring own hand sanitizer.
- If more than one service back to back in the sanctuary (or other location), all frequently touched surfaces must be disinfected/sanitized between services.
- Ushers/Greeters, Counters, Communion helpers wear disposable gloves if available.
- Teams needed: Greeters, Monitors, Interior traffic, parking lot traffic, Disinfect/Sanitize
Based on these requirements and other best practices, please respond:
Thank you, for taking the time to read this and respond! Please be assured we are working to provide for a safe return to in-person worship for all. Streaming of our Sunday service will continue regardless for all who wish to worship at home/off site.
Rev. Jim Wishmyer